Electrical hazards are a major concern for just about everyone, but many are unfamiliar about which dangers might lurk in their home. Knowing more about these can help you to best protect your home and keep your wiring and electrical fixtures in better condition.
Defective or faulty wires are one of the biggest hazards that people have to contend with. This could present a fire hazard if one of the bad wires shorts while it is being used. Issues like overheated wires, loose connections or cracked or worn wires can result in this.
If you have outlets that are too close to water, this could cause a major problem. It is important that all electrical outlets are not near fixtures, such as sinks or bathtubs. You also want to keep all electrical items at a safe distance to prevent electric shock.
Extension cords are certainly useful when you need electricity in an area that does not have a nearby outlet. However, they should be never used as a permanent solution. They are only meant to handle a specific amount of power on a short-term basis. They could overheat and increase the risk of an electrical fire if used too much.
Lightbulbs are one of the electrical hazards that you might not think about. If your lightbulbs are close to flammable materials, there is an increased risk of a fire. It is important that they are not used close to beds, upholstery, plastics or drapes.
Improper ventilation for electrical items and appliances could result in overheating. Make sure that these items are not too close to walls, fabrics or anything else that could prevent sufficient airflow.
You can see that electrical hazards are something everyone should be concerned about. Having your electrical system and wiring inspected on a regular basis by a professional electrician can help to find problems before they become dangerous.